It’s the end of the year and time for a look back at the Top 5 Home and Business Security Posts of 2013. This year we saw a focus on keeping homes and valuables safe in the most-read content from our blog. Each post below offers some great tips to add to your calendar as we start a new year. Here’s a look at our top five posts of 2012.
The all-in-one security system is attractive, but many systems include a four-minute notification delay to avoid false alarms. This post explores how thieves can rob you blind in four minutes and why you need to question your alarm company about such a delay.
With more than 2.1 million break-ins each year, it’s important to protect your home from what the feds call “opportunist thieves.” You need to think like a thief to prevent theft in your home. A few of the best tips:
- Invest in doors, locks, and a home security system.
- Secure your windows and sliding doors.
- Watch your trash. Don’t just put that new appliance box at the road, it shows thieves you have expensive goods inside.
It’s tempting to tell everyone you’re going out of town — especially on that second honeymoon to Hawaii — but keep it to yourself until you get back. Save the pictures. Lock down your Facebook account, and call your home security system provider. Read on for more tips on how to enjoy your vacation and keep your home safe.
It’s violating, scary, and can take a long time to clean up the police, insurance, and personal financial details. The best way to deal with a break-in is to be prepared. If it ever happens, there are several things you need to do right away and this post gives you tips for getting your security back after the incident.
The most recent stats on shoplifting show it’s a nearly $11 billion problem for retailers. That’s no chump change, especially for smaller businesses. This post, which was our most popular of 2013, gives you the ins and outs for protecting your bottom line from covering lost goods — including investing in an efficient business security system. One of our favorite tips is to keep your employees engaged with customers at all times. It helps you increase sales and decrease theft!
Thanks for being a loyal American Alarm blog reader in 2013. We look forward to bringing you more home and business security tips in the year to come.
- Subscribe to our blog to receive the full blog series via email and stay informed about the latest security news and insight.
- Stay up to date on security topics such as home alarm systems, business security systems, video surveillance systems, IP video networks, remote video monitoring, fire alarm systems, and fire alarm inspection.