Some people may think that burglars are more interested in robbing single-family homes, that’s just not the case. In fact, apartments are 85 percent more likely to get burglarized than one-family homes, according to the National Crime Prevention Council.
Of course, your landlord should ensure that your apartment is safe and secure, but it’s still important for you to take the necessary steps to avoid being a victim.
Here are five tips to ensure your apartment is secure:
1. Get new door locks: Ask your landlord to replace your locks to prevent former tenants—or others—from gaining access to your apartment. When you move into your new apartment, you never know how many previous tenants may still have keys—or how many people those former renters may have given copies of their keys. Ask your landlord to install brand new locks, rather than recycle old ones.
2. Install a home security system: The best way to protect your family and your belongings is by installing a home security system with motion detectors. Ask your landlord for permission before you call a professional to do the installation.
3. Check the lighting: The bad guys like to sneak around in areas that are poorly lit or totally dark. Always be sure the entrances, hallways, walkways, parking areas, elevators, stairways, mail areas, and laundry rooms are well lit at night. Don’t give criminals any place to hide.
4. Women, don’t announce to the world that you live alone: That means don’t post your full name —or even your first initial and last name—on the mailbox, doorbell or directory listing. Just use your last name. You should also make up names to add to the listings to make it look like you have roommates.
5. Use the peephole: Using a peephole can keep you and your family safe by enabling you to see who is at your door before you open it. If your door doesn’t have a peephole, ask your landlord about installing one.
Remember to ensure the security of your apartment you have to take matters—and your safety—into your own hands. Work with your landlord to make sure your apartment is secure and take the necessary steps yourself to make certain it stays that way.
- Subscribe to our blog to stay informed about the latest security news and insight.
- Stay up to date on security topics such as home alarm systems, business security systems, video surveillance systems, IP video networks, remote video monitoring, fire alarm systems, and fire alarm inspection.