Although the best way to protect your family and your valuables is by installing a home security system, changing the locks on your doors is also an important safety measure that you shouldn’t overlook.
If you’re like most people, you probably haven’t given much thought to getting new or at least re-keying the existing locks.
That doesn’t mean you have to change your door locks on a regular basis the way you have to change the batteries in your smoke detectors. Rather, there are certain times when you should consider replacing or re-keying the locks on your doors, including:
- When You Move–Buying a new home or moving into a new apartment is a great time to change the door locks. Often previous owners and tenants still have copies of the keys even though they’re supposed to turn them in once the property is sold or rented out again. They may have even given copies to friends, family, co-workers, neighbors, etc., at one time or another. Installing new locks and having new keys is the only way to ensure that the keys to your home don’t fall into the wrong hands.
- You Lose Your Keys–You should always replace or re-key your door locks if you’ve lost your keys or they’ve been stolen. If you lose your keys in a random city, for example, it’s highly unlikely that anyone will be able to find the lock that they fit. However, what if your keys as well as your identification are in that purse or briefcase that’s lost or stolen? Now, you have no idea where your keys will end up. Even if a kind person returns your belongings, you still have don’t know if that individual made copies of your house keys before giving them back to you.
- You’ve Had a Break-In–If you’ve had a break-in, the bad guys may have found those spare keys laying around on top of your dresser, so change those locks before they have a chance to return. Equally as important, though, is the fact that the burglars may have damaged one or more of your door locks, making them ineffective and putting you at more risk for another break-in. So right after you call the police and your insurance company, call a locksmith. If you don’t have a home security system, make that your next call.
- Divorce or Break Up–Ending a relationship or a marriage is tough. Sometimes the break-up is amicable, other times not so much. To ensure your safety as well as the safety of your family, and to protect your home and your property, change or re-key the door locks. The same applies to a scorned friend or former roommate who could enter your home when you’re away and rob you blind.
To protect yourself and your loved ones as well as your property be sure to install a home security system, and replace or re-key your door locks if you encounter any of these situations.
- Subscribe to our blog to stay informed about the latest security news and insight.
- Stay up to date on security topics such as home alarm systems, business security systems, video surveillance systems, IP video networks, remote video monitoring, fire alarm systems, and fire alarm inspection.