Security You Can Trust
https://www.americanalarm.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/12/American-Alarm_logo_1Xr.png 0 0 American Alarm Blogging Team https://www.americanalarm.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/12/American-Alarm_logo_1Xr.png American Alarm Blogging Team2013-12-19 08:55:462016-01-25 11:11:00’Tis the Season for Giving and . . . Taking
’Tis the Season for Giving and . . . Taking
After scouring the Internet for months you’ve finally scored that hot – not to mention super expensive – electronic gadget all the kids want this holiday season on Amazon. However, one look at your child’s face when he rips off the wrapping paper will make all your efforts worthwhile.
That is, if your package doesn’t get stolen before you even know it’s been delivered.
Here are some tips courtesy of the Boston Police Department to keep thieves from making off with the packages filled with the holiday goodies you buy online:
- Have the package sent to the home of a friend of relative you know will be home to accept it.
- If you’re not going to be home, ask the package delivery company if it can hold your package at a local delivery center for you to pick up.
- Ask the sender to require a signature for delivery. This means the driver won’t be able to leave the package if there is no one home to sign for it. You might also leave a note for the driver directing him to your next door neighbor’s home for a signature.
- Leave instructions telling the driver where to leave the package – such as in the back of your house – if no one is home. In the note, include instructions asking the delivery person to discard the note or leave it with the package. We suggest selecting a discreet place to leave the note so the driver will see it but someone driving down the street looking for packages won’t.
- If the seller provides a tracking number, check the delivery service site to find out when it’s scheduled to arrive so you can make arrangements for someone to be home to pick it up.
- If the seller has a physical store, ask to have your items shipped to the nearest store for “in-store pick up.”
- Install a video surveillance system facing toward all main entrances and your driveway. So if any package thieves try to make off with your goods, you’ll have proof of wrong-doing. And you’ll also be able to give local police solid evidence to track down the culprits. Modern video surveillance systems can be integrated with remote video access, allowing you to keep an eye on your home and driveway while you’re away.
- Ask your boss if you can have your packages delivered to you at work.
The Cambridge, Mass. Police Department also offer some tips to protect outgoing packages:
- Don’t leave packages on your front porch or anywhere else outside to be picked up by private carriers.
- If you’re sending a package to someone, tell the person about it and let him know when to expect it so he can be home to pick it up or make arrangements to have someone else retrieve it.
- Insure all the packages you’re sending for the replacement cost of the items.
- Subscribe to our blog to receive the full blog series via email and stay informed about the latest security news and insight.
- Stay up to date on security topics such as home alarm systems, business security systems, video surveillance systems, IP video networks, remote video monitoring, fire alarm systems, and fire alarm inspection.