Healthcare Business Security Challenges: An Overview
Healthcare organizations have a lot to protect, including patients, staff, medical records, medications, and valuable equipment. If you’re looking for a security solution for your healthcare organization, choosing a partner that understands your business’s needs is vital.
Security Concerns and Challenges
While the types of healthcare organizations are incredibly diverse, they share many of the same security concerns and challenges, including:
- DEA compliance – Facilities that store and distribute medications must follow strict guidelines around drug security to track who has access to controlled substances.
- HIPAA compliance – The Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act protects the privacy and security of patient health records. Healthcare organizations are required to take steps to ensure this sensitive information is carefully stored and kept confidential.
- JCAHO compliance – The Joint Commission on Accreditation of Healthcare Organizations has strict compliance standards that organizations must follow in order to retain accreditation. An organization’s commercial security strategy could play a role in ensuring they remain compliant with JCAHO standards.
- Integration with existing networks and IT frameworks – Large organizations often have established security programs and platforms that they’re working from, and a security partner must integrate seamlessly with this existing platform.
- Access control – Access control plays a big role in healthcare security, from managing who has access to certain areas of a facility to tracking staff movement, managing entrances, and more.
- Panic button – Panic buttons enable staff members in healthcare facilities to discreetly call for help if needed.
- Video surveillance – Video surveillance can be important for monitoring the exterior of a healthcare facility, especially one that stores valuable equipment on-site.
Commercial Security Systems
Commercial security systems can be designed to suit any type of healthcare organization, including:
- Multi-tenant healthcare settings
- Individual healthcare providers
- Outpatient surgery centers
- Hospice facilities
- Substance abuse centers
Over the coming weeks, we’ll take a closer look at the unique security profiles for each of these types of healthcare organizations. We’ll discuss which types of healthcare facilities fall into each of these categories along with their security challenges, considerations, and priorities. Our first installment in this series will cover how a security partner can support an enterprise level organization like a hospital while working within their existing IT infrastructure.
- Read more about commercial security.
- Contact us today to learn more about security and surveillance for your business.
- Learn more about what home or business security means to us.
- Subscribe to our blog to stay informed about the latest security news and insight.
Stay up to date on security topics such as home alarm systems, business security systems, video surveillance systems, IP video networks, remote video monitoring, fire alarm systems, and fire alarm inspections.