Home Security Needs Change as Your Life Changes
If you’ve had a recent life-changing event like getting married, having a new baby, buying a new home, or maybe starting a home-based business, your life and your priorities have changed – and so have your home security needs.
When it comes to security and electronically protecting your family from harm, crime is not the only thing you need to worry about. Fire and even carbon monoxide poisoning are also concerns. If you have aging parents who may have moved into your home, they too, have special security needs. You need to think of home security as a continuum, and work with an alarm monitoring company that understands that your needs change as your life changes.
Many homeowners wait to think about buying an alarm system after they’ve been the victim of crime. Wouldn’t it be better to have that piece of mind before an incident occurs? That’s why security professionals agree that home security should be a proactive and not a reactive process.
Here are four very good reasons to consider installing a home security system, no matter what stage of life you’re in:
1. To Avoid Confrontation – Coming home and finding an intruder in your home can be a frightening experience. Waking up to one can be even more traumatic, and potentially life-threatening. Chances are, whether you’re home or not, when the alarm sounds an intruder will make a hasty retreat.
2. Deterrence Factor – Independent university studies have shown that alarms, especially monitored alarms, do deter crime. Most home security companies provide you with decals to place on your windows as well as yard signs advertising that your home is protected by the system. In most cases, when a criminal sees those signs, he’s far less likely to attempt a break in.
3. Fire and Other Protection – Another key benefit of a security system is to provide multiple layers of protection, including fire, medical rescue, and police.
4. To Minimize Losses Incurred – If someone does break into your home and it’s alarmed, chances are he’s not going to stick around long enough to grab much.
Once you install an alarm system, don’t be lulled into thinking that the same system will always provide for all of your needs. The fact is your security needs change as your life changes. So be sure you upgrade or modify your home security system to keep pace with life-changing events.
You need to inform your alarm monitoring company if any of these changes take place in your home:
- If you add an authorized user to the system
- When you welcome a new pet into your family
- When you go on vacation, or will be away for any extended period of time
- If you do any kind of home remodeling
- If you change your phone service or Internet provider
You can improve your overall safety by working hand-in-hand with an alarm company that understands that total home security is an ever-changing and moving target