Based in New England since 1971, we’ve worked in the Newbury area for decades. We know the landscape and we have good relationships with local police and fire officials. Our team of employees (200 strong and growing) live in the communities we serve, this means our customers are our neighbors.
Origin of Newbury
Named after the town in Berkshire, England, Newbury was settled and incorporated in 1635. The Rev. Thomas Parker, his cousin Rev. James Noyes, and Noyes’ brother Nicholas, led a group of about 100 people from Wiltshire, England. They first landed in Agawam (now Ipswich) in 1634. Then in the spring of 1635, they arrived at the Quascacunquen River, now known as the Parker River.
Newbury had once been a village inhabited by the Pawtucket Indians, who hunted, fished, or farmed. Newbury originally included Newburyport, which was incorporated as a separate town in 1764, and West Newbury, incorporated in 1819. Newbury includes the villages of Old Town (Newbury Center), Plum Island, and Byfield
What Newbury is Known for…
In 1636, the first water-powered mill was established at the Quascacunquen falls in Byfield. Then gristmills and sawmills were built, and the first textile mill in Massachusetts was built in 1794. The nation’s first preparatory school, Dum’r (Dummer) Charity School, known subsequently as Dummer Academy, Governor Dummer Academy, and now The Governor’s Academy, was founded in Byfield in 1763. Byfield was also the site of the first female seminary, founded in 1807.
Short List of Historic Places or Recreation Spots
The Coffin House is a historic Colonial American house that was built around 1678. Located on High Road, the Coffin House is operated as non-profit museum by Historic New England. The house is open on the first and third Saturday of the month from June through October.
The Abraham Adams House, an historic First Period house, is located on Pearson Drive. The oldest part of the house, its front section, was built between 1705 and 1707 by Abraham Adams, a farmer and sea captain who was married to the granddaughter of jurist Samuel Sewall. The front section consisted of a two-story wood frame with two rooms on each floor, on either side of a central chimney. The house was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1990.
The Spencer-Peirce-Little Farm, built around 1690, is a Colonial American farm located on Little’s Lane in the middle of 231 acres of open land bordering the Merrimack River and Plum Island Sound. Nature walks, family events, and lectures are held at the farm year-round. Spencer-Peirce-Little Farm visitor center houses a museum gift shop offering books, gifts, and local products.
Famous People from (or Who Lived in) Newbury
Richard Dummer (c.1589 – 14 December 1679) settled in Newbury in May 1635. He has been described as “one of the fathers of Massachusetts.”
William Dummer (baptized October 10, 1677 – October 10, 1761) was a politician in the Province of Massachusetts Bay. He served as its lieutenant governor for 14 years (1716–1730), including a period from 1723 to 1728 when he acted as governor. Born in Boston, William Dummer divided his time after retirement between his farm in Byfield and his home in Boston.
Theophilus Parsons, Chief Justice of the Massachusetts Supreme Judicial Court, was born in Newbury. Parsons was a member of the state constitutional convention of 1779-1780 and one of the committee of 26 who drafted the U.S. Constitution.