Security You Can Trust
https://www.americanalarm.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/12/American-Alarm_logo_1Xr.png 0 0 American Alarm Blogging Team https://www.americanalarm.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/12/American-Alarm_logo_1Xr.png American Alarm Blogging Team2017-01-25 13:39:042017-03-21 12:15:21How to Improve the Physical Security of Your Small Business
How to Improve the Physical Security of Your Small Business
As more and more small businesses fall victim to data breaches, it’s understandable that you would invest resources to beef up your cybersecurity efforts.
However, it’s equally as important that you continually address the physical security needs of your company to protect against theft and vandalism.
Here are some steps you can take to help you improve your firm’s physical security:
- Be sure your business security system includes redundant communications and a back-up battery – Your system must be able to send an emergency signal under any circumstances. Redundant communication channels and battery back-up mean your system will still be functional and able to send an alarm signal when help is needed, even in the event of a power failure or if your phone line goes dead.
- Keep the lobby door locked – You don’t want to make it easy for an intruder to go right from the lobby to the inside of your facility. Just relying on a receptionist isn’t enough because sometimes he or she will be busy and distracted.
- Install IP video surveillance – Locating surveillance camera on the outside and inside of your building can be a good deterrent to theft and vandalism. However, if a thief does break into your company, the video images will help the police in their investigation.
- Subscribe to 24/7 monitoring – In addition to installing a security system and surveillance cameras, it’s important to check that your alarm company will monitor your place of business around the clock. If not, although the alarms will sound in the event of a break-in, they won’t alert any outside source that can then relay a message to the police. The faster your security system can notify your security company’s command center, the sooner police can arrive to take care of the situation.
- Install better locks – This is one of the simplest things you can do to upgrade your security. “Whenever possible install high-security locks on doors that lead to expensive equipment or areas where sensitive information is stored,” according to Kabbage.com, a company that provides loans to small businesses. If a lot of people go in and out of your building, you should purchase commercial grade locks. These locks can withstand more use and they’re easier to repair and maintain. You should also replace or fix locks that don’t work right. “A malfunctioning or difficult to use lock provides little security,” according to Kabbage. “They are easier for criminals to overwhelm, and employees will be more likely not to use poorly functioning locks.”
- Install an access control system – This door security system limits entry to your building and important areas of the facility to necessary individuals during and after business hours. With such a system, your employees can access the business using specialized credentials, such as a key card that they can swipe through a card reader to unlock the door.
Part of running a successful company is improving its physical security because if you don’t keep it safe and secure, you just may be out of business.
- Subscribe to our blog to stay informed about the latest security news and insight.
- Stay up to date on security topics such as home alarm systems, business security systems, video surveillance systems, IP video networks, remote video monitoring, fire alarm systems, and fire alarm inspection.