Welcome to American Alarms’ business and home security page for Merrimac, Massachusetts. This informational page provides important crime data along with additional information for those living in or considering moving to Merrimac.
Merrimac Business and Home Security Facts
According to the FBI Crime Database for Massachusetts’ 279 cities and towns, Merrimac was ranked 211th in “Most Property Damage per 100,000” in 2013 improving from 210th in 2012. However, it was 106th for “Most Burglaries per 100,000” declining from 167th in 2012.
American Alarm’s History in Merrimac
Based in New England since 1971, we’ve worked in the Merrimac area for decades. We know the landscape and we have good relationships with local police and fire officials. Our team of employees (200 strong and growing) live in the communities we serve, this means our customers are our neighbors.
Origin of Merrimac
The town of Merrimac, located along the north bank of the Merrimack River, was settled by the English in 1638 as a part of Salisbury. Later Merrimac became part of Amesbury until it was incorporated as a separate municipality on April 11, 1876. Throughout the 17th and 18th centuries, Merrimac was mainly known as an agricultural and fishing community, although there was some shipbuilding as well.
Legend has it that the town and the river that runs along its southern border were named for the Native American tribe that lived in the region. “Merrimac” (or Merrimack) means “swift water place” in the language of the tribe.
What Merrimac is Known for…
In the 19th century, Merrimac came to be known worldwide for its horse-drawn carriage industry. Now a small residential community, was once a major center for the manufacturing of high quality four-wheeled carriages. For a few decades after it was incorporated, the town grew and prospered because of its success in this important transportation industry of the time.
Listing of Merrimac Favorites
Rhythm Café, 12 School St., Merrimac, MA 01860
Skip’s Snack Bar, 92 E Main St., Merrimac, MA 01860
Common Grounds Coffee Shop, 101 E Main St., Merrimac, MA 01860
DeLeo’s Pizza, 117 E Main St. #2, Merrimac, MA 01860
Short List of Historic Places or Recreation Spots
The former Thomas Hoyt Memorial Library now houses the Merrimac Historical Museum. Located on West Main St., the museum is built in the Tudor style, with stained glass windows designed by famed stain glass maker Charles Jay Connick. The museum is filled with pictures, documents, artifacts, and actual carriages from Merrimac’s carriage-making days.
Boaters frequent the town because it’s situated of the Merrimack River, which has access to the Atlantic Ocean between Newburyport and Salisbury. Small boats can be launched at Lake Attitash, the town-owned beach at Indian Head Park on the southern shore of the lake, off Route 110.
The Jay McLaren Trail is a popular regional recreation area. The 18-acre former railroad right-of-way begins behind the Church Street Cemetery following Cobbler’s Brook and continues north along the railroad track bed into Newton, N.H. The entire two-mile trail is open to pedestrians and can be used as a bike, ski, and bridle path.