Welcome to American Alarms’ business and home security page for Amesbury, Massachusetts. This informational page provides important crime data along with additional information for those living in or considering moving to Amesbury.
According to the FBI Crime Database for Massachusetts’ 279 cities and towns, Amesbury was ranked 121st in “Most Property Damage per 100,000” in 2013 declining from 122nd in 2012. However, it was 174th for “Most Burglaries per 100,000” improving from 170th in 2012.
Based in New England since 1971, we’ve worked in the Amesbury area for decades. We know the landscape and we have good relationships with local police and fire officials. Our team of employees (200 strong and growing) live in the communities we serve, this means our customers are our neighbors.
In 1637, John Bayly, the first English settler in what is now the Salisbury-Amesbury region, crossed the Merrimack River from the new settlement at Newbury, built a log cabin, and began to clear the land for farming. Ultimately after being tried for murder – a murder he didn’t commit – and acquitted, Bayly traded farming for fishing.
Others settled in the area and on October 7, 1640, the Massachusetts General Court incorporated Salisbury – several towns later broke away from Salisbury. The town now known as Amesbury broke away in 1666. Initially called New Salisbury, the town was officially incorporated as Amesbury on April 29, 1668. Amesbury is situated on the Merrimack River, about 25 miles from Boston.
Amesbury is believed to be the site of the first American factory to produce machine-made nails. Beginning in 1853, Amesbury became famous for building carriages, a trade that later evolved into the manufacture of automobile bodies. However, the Great Depression put an end to that industry.
In the early 1900s, the town was home to the Merrimac Hat Company, the leading hat maker in the United States. Hoyt’s Buffalo Brand Peanut Butter Kisses were also produced in Amesbury.
Built circa 1780, the Mary Baker Eddy House on Main Street was expanded over the years to meet the growing needs of the Bagley family. Mary Baker Eddy, the founder of Christian Science, spend some time living in the house with the Bagley family in the 1860s. The house is open from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. the first Saturday of every month from May 1 – October 31.
In 1836, the 19th-century Quaker poet and abolitionist John Greenleaf Whittier purchased a small four-room cottage complete with an attic on Friend St. in Amesbury. It was near the Friends’ Meeting House, which the family attended. The original four downstairs rooms and furnishings remain nearly the same as when the family lived there. The home is open Saturdays from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. from May through October.
The Bartlett Museum on Main Street is open for tours on weekends from Memorial Day to Labor Day. This 1870 “Ferry School” house features offers a glimpse into the local history of the carriage industry, as well as old maps, a collection of prehistoric and Native American artifacts, and much more.
Susannah (North) Martin, victim of Salem witch trials in 1692, lived in Amesbury.
Josiah Bartlett, a signer of the Declaration of Independence, was born in Amesbury.
John Greenleaf Whittier, a famous American poet, lived most of his live in Amesbury and is buried there.
Click here to contact an American Alarm security consultant in the Amesbury, MA area for a free home security evaluation, or call 781-859-2400
Amesbury, MA, United States
Security Command Center:
Technical Support: 781-859-2600
Human Resources: 781-859-2300
Advanced Signal: 781-963-2024
Auburn Office: 508-753-1322
Electronic Alarms, RI: 401-737-2221
Manchester, NH Office: 603-627-2002
Wallingford, CT Office (Monitor Controls): 203-269-3591
Weymouth Office (Atlas Alarm): 781-337-8866