Security You Can Trust
https://www.americanalarm.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/10/Fire-Safety.jpg 402 720 zac https://www.americanalarm.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/12/American-Alarm_logo_1Xr.png zac2021-10-07 16:02:362021-10-07 16:02:36Fire Safety Week: Home Fire Safety Checklist
Fire Safety Week: Home Fire Safety Checklist
October 3rd through October 9th is Fire Safety Week. To celebrate, we’ve created a handy list you can use to fire-proof your home. These actionable fire safety tips may save your home from becoming one of the nearly 500,000 structures that catch fire in America each year.
Print this list and keep it on your fridge or in another convenient location to remind you of what to do to protect your home from a harmful fire.
Smoke and Fire Alarms
- At the very least install one smoke detector on every floor of your home. It would be best to check with your local fire department to make sure you install enough to keep to the local fire code in your town. (Even better if that fire alarm system has 24/7 monitoring!)
- Check that all installed smoke and heat detectors are working properly. Best practice is to test twice a year. Day light savings is a good reminder.
- Replace any amoke and heat detectors over 10 years old.
- Never leave a candle burning unattended
- Keep burning candles out of the reach of children and pets
- Watch the stove at all times
- Keep a fire extinguisher nearby in the case of a small grease fire
- Do not attempt to fry a turkey or use a grill indoors
Fire Safety for Kids
- Discuss a fire safety plan with your children that lets them know exactly what they should do in the case of a fire
- Run a fire drill with your family to practice your fire safety plan
- Child proof all outlets and keep electric devices or flammable products away from your small children
Nighttime Fire Safety
- Ensure all decorative lights are unplugged
- Extinguish any candles and fireplace fires before bed
- Ensure that there is a fire alarm placed near each bedroom
Electrical Fire Safety
- Check that all electrical wires are in good condition with no frays
- Do not run wires and cords under rugs
- Always clean dryer lint filters before each use
- Check that all outlets are cool to the touch. If warm, contact an electrician to ensure that there is not a potentially dangerous electrical issue in your home.
- Contact us today to learn more about home fire safety.
- Learn more about what home security means to us.
- Subscribe to our blog to stay informed about the latest security news and insight.
- Stay up to date on security topics such as home alarm systems, business security systems, video surveillance systems, IP video networks, remote video monitoring, fire alarm systems, and fire alarm inspections.