Welcome to American Alarms’ business and home security page for Townsend, Massachusetts. This informational page provides important crime data along with additional information for those living in or considering moving to Townsend.
Townsend Business and Home Security Facts
According to the FBI Crime Database for Massachusetts’ 279 cities and towns, Townsend was ranked 144th in “Most Property Damage per 100,000” and it was 36th for “Most Burglaries per 100,000” in 2013.
American Alarm’s History in Townsend
Based in New England since 1971, we’ve worked in the Townsend area for decades. We know the landscape and we have good relationships with local police and fire officials. Our team of employees (200 strong and growing) live in the communities we serve, this means our customers are our neighbors.
Origin of Townsend
Townsend was first settled in 1676 and was incorporated as a town on June 29, 1732. It was named after Viscount Charles Townshend, a British cabinet minister, and an opponent of the Tories. In 1733, the first mill was built in Townsend Harbor. About 1780, residents and town clerks began to spell Townsend by omitting the “H.”
What Townsend is Known for…
The Boston and Keene, New Hampshire stagecoaches began to run to and from Townsend in 1806, initially making three trips a week. Soon it became a popular trip, and the stagecoach started making one trip every day. The stages would arrive about noon in the West Village. The passengers dined at the Joslinville Tavern (the big mansion at the corner of Main Street and West Meadow Road – now 519 Main Street).
The largest business for many years was the coopering business (making casks). This was run by the Fessenden family for three generations. It was located between the railroad tracks and Route 119 (Main Street) near the center of town. When the business ceased operations in 1960, most of the building was torn down. Later it burned to the ground.
Listing of Townsend favorites
Townsend House Restaurant and Tavern, 2 Depot St., Townsend, MA 01469
Sophia’s Pizzeria, 220 Main St., Townsend, MA 01469
Bailey’s Bar & Grille, 18 Main St., Townsend MA 01469
Cliff’s Cafe & Catering, 268 Main St., Townsend, MA 01469
Short List of Historic Places or Recreation Spots
The Cooperage on South Street was built in 1733. The Cooperage began as a mill for sawing boards, then converted to a fulling mill (for the beating and cleaning of cloth in water). In the mid-1800s, it housed the barrel-making business of E. Spaulding, when the six-sided cooper fireplace was added. Later a river-side restaurant occupied the premises. Now it functions as an antique co-op.
The Harbor Church on Main Street was built in 1853 as a Unitarian meeting house, the building was closed and abandoned as a church after just a few years. It stood empty until its development as a theater and community center in the late 1800s.
The Spaulding Grist Mill on South Street processed corn and grain grown by local farmers until it closed in the 1920s. The grinding stones of this mill were driven by a horizontal wheel powered by water from the Squannacook River.