On January 9th, a 16-year-old Nassau County, Florida girl and her mom lost their lives in a fire that was started by a wood-burning stove they were apparently using to heat their home.
The girl’s father tried to save his family but, sadly, the fire was just too intense. Investigators said they weren’t sure if the home had been equipped with working smoke detectors. A working smoke alarm as well as monitored smoke detectors could have increased their chances of surviving that fire.
If you’re one of the many thousands of people who long for the “good old days” when folks used to heat their homes with wood-burning stoves, you should also be aware of the dangers of this practice, including the risk of fire, according to the Insurance Information Institute.
Here are some tips for the safe and efficient use of wood-burning stoves to help ensure your safety as well as the safety of your family and your home.